Ballard High School

High School
Counseling Center Dashboard

Running Start

Running Start General Information

What is Running Start?

Running Start is a program for High School Juniors and Seniors to take college classes at Washington two year colleges and earn high school and college credit at the same time.

As Running Start is a dual-credit academic program students receive both high school and college credit for these classes which can accelerate their progress through completing specific credit requirements for high school graduation and course requirements for a technical certification or Associate’s Degree.

Tuition is free for a maximum of 15 credits per quarter in college-level courses numbered 100 or higher. However, the number of college credits each student may take free of tuition costs depends on how many classes the student is concurrently taking at the high school. Students are responsible for tuition for pre-college courses (numbering below 100) and any credits that exceed their allowable limit. Students are responsible for the cost of books and transportation; however, fee waivers for these expenses (not including transportation) are available for students who qualify for free or reduced lunch.

Students Please Note: Running Start students must take full responsibility for keeping up-to-date on what’s happening at Ballard HS, including important dates and deadlines (AP Tests, Winter Ball, Senior Prom, Yearbook Portraits, Grad Ads, Ordering Graduation Supplies, Graduation Rehearsal Dates and Times, Senior Meetings and any other Senior related events).

Students can sign up on the BHS Newsletter Sign Up Form and reading the BHS Newsletter is one of the best ways to stay informed of upcoming events and deadlines.


  • A High School Junior or Senior
  • Place into college level English OR math on the placement test (taken at the college)
  • Some colleges will accept your ACT, SAT, or high school transcript for placement in lieu of the placement test. Check the college websites for more information.

Steps to Getting Started

  1. Decide which two-year college you want to attend by visiting several campuses and checking out their course offerings on their websites. 
  2. Check the Running Start procedures on the website of the college you wish to attend. Some will require you to register as a student online or in person before taking the placement test.   Some may require that you attend an orientation session at the college.
  3. Take the placement test. (Testing schedules can be found on the college websites.) You will need to bring your BHS student ID card and money to pay a fee to the test center in order to take the test. Students with free/reduced lunch may qualify for a fee waiver from their BHS counselor. For more information about the placement test and access to test prep materials, check the college websites. You will receive your test results the same day and if they show you qualify to take English 101 and/or Math 107 you are eligible for Running Start. (You should receive a packet of registration material when you complete the test.)
  4. Schedule an appointment to meet with your high school counselor.  Bring your Running Start packet to this meeting and a signed copy of the Running Start Participation Agreement form for Ballard High School. You will decide together which classes you will take at the college and which classes you will take at BHS.  Your counselor will sign the Enrollment Verification Form included in your Running Start packet.
  5. Take your completed Running Start Packet, including the Enrollment Verification Form, to the college. You will meet with the Running Start Advisor and register for classes.
  6. If you are planning to begin Running Start classes for the Fall Term, try to complete all of the above steps  during May  if possible.  This is the priority date for most colleges. Most colleges will still accept your applications after this date, but courses will begin filling up, limiting your choices if you apply late.  Check each college website for their specific dates and deadlines.  You can also begin Running Start during the school year by entering the college Winter Term or Spring Term, but the logistics are more difficult. 

Once Enrolled

The college will send your grades to BHS at the end of each quarter to be posted on your BHS transcript. If you need an official college transcript you will need to request and pay for an official copy from the college registrar where you took Running Start classes.

Resources and Forms

Please visit the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website to download a PDF of the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF).

College Websites:

Bellevue College |

Edmonds Community College |

Lake Washington Institute of Technology |

North Seattle College |

Seattle Central College |

Shoreline Community College |

South Seattle College |