College Planning Information
Senior College Planning Information 2021-2022
Virtual Financial Aid Events
- BHS Financial Aid Night, Tue, Oct 26 at 7 p.m. via Teams Live. Learn more.
- 12 Year Campaign Financial Aid Completion Events on Oct 27, Nov 10, Nov 17, Dec 1 – All events begin @ 5:30 PM, register on the WA Student Achievement Council website.
- All Seniors should complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) to be eligible for financial aid. A person should complete the WASFA if they are undocumented or do not qualify for federal financial aid because of their immigration status. Everyone else should complete the FAFSA.
- To complete the FAFSA or WASFA online go to: studentaid.gov or for WASFA wsac.wa.gov/wasfa
- The FAFSA and WASFA are available starting Oct 1st (be sure to fill out the 2022-2023 version)
Virtual College Fairs
- NACAC Virtual College Fairs (all times listed are Pacific Standard Time)
- National College Fair 10/24 10am-3pm, 11/2 Arts & STEM College Fair 1pm-5pm & 11/14 National College Fair 10am-3pm
College Visits at Ballard
- College admissions reps from all over the country will be hosting virtual college visits throughout the fall. To sign up, log onto Naviance, select “What’s New,” then “More Info” to sign up for visits. Email Counseling Secretary Carol Bristol, email@example.com if you have questions. Students may use the Commons as a space to access your virtual visits on your laptop (please bring headphones).
College Essay Writing Resources
- The Greater Seattle Bureau of Fearless Ideas (8414 Greenwood Avenue North, 206-725-2625) fearlessideas.org
- The College Essay Guy at collegeessayguy.com
- WWU Essay & Activities Tips admissions.wwu.edu/first-year/essay-and-activities
National Portfolio Day – Art and Design Schools
- Sunday, November 14 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. @ Cornish College of the Arts – Register at nationalportfolioday.org
Standardized Testing ACT/SAT
Many institutions are now test optional – check with your school to see if they accept / require test scores
- ACT Fall Test Dates (act.org) – October 23, December 11
- SAT Fall Test Dates (collegeboard.org) – Nov 6, Dec 4
- Do not wait for the deadline to register – testing sites fill up early
- SAT Subject Tests – Be sure to check your college websites to see if they require these additional tests
- If you qualify for free/reduced lunch, please see your counselor for a fee waiver for the ACT or the SAT
- BHS Counseling Center: ballardhs.seattleschools.org/resources/counseling-center
- WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange Program): Tuition break for some out of state colleges wiche.edu/wue
- Naviance: Online college & career planning tool; access Naviance by logging in to the SPS student portal
- Career Bridge: Go to careerbridge.wa.gov
- NCAA Eligibility Center: To be academically eligible to participate in Division I or Division II college athletics, you must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center and make sure you have completed the necessary academic requirements eligibilitycenter.org
- College Search Websites: collegesearch.collegeboard.org/home | ucan-network.org | nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator | knowhowtogo.org