PTSA Fundraising Overview
We raise money through fundraising events such as our annual Direct Appeal Campaign and Auction and dinner, typically held in the spring. Simply becoming a member also supports every student in the school and a way to contribute.
The BHS PTSA is a non-profit 501 (c)(3). If you donated to the BHS PTSA, your donation is tax deductible to the extent permitted by law, BHS PTSA Tax ID #91-1303069. Want to help us fundraise? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Ballard High School PTSA stands out due to the level of support of our Mission Statement “Create an inclusive, supportive community that cultivates a tradition of excellence for all students.”
How is the Money Used?
The money we raise is targeted to general usage for things like fulfillment of Teacher Grant requests, Scholarships; general assistance for students in need; and The PTSA also gladly supports other Ballard High School booster organizations by paying for emails, paper, printing and auction software, as well as other support tools.
Fundraising Supports Many Programs
Is your hand still cramped from writing checks? Are you confused about all of the different organizations that are asking you for money? Thought you already gave to that booster club? Yet another auction, really? The fact is, you are going to be asked for money in this day and age at any school in the state of Washington. It can be overwhelming! We realize what seems like constant asks for money can leave you confused, very shortly after school starts every year.
We hear it every year: “I thought I already gave to the PTSA”, or “I already signed up for the PTSA”. We at the Ballard High School PTSA thought it might be useful to understand all of the great organizations we have at BHS that need, and will ask for, your support.
All of these organizations deserve your money, and we encourage you to decide on your own, equipped with the below knowledge, about where to put your dollars. With it in mind you’ll be asked for some class fees, you’ll likely have to pay for field trips and other extracurricular activities, and maybe even a trip somewhere around the world.
BHS Organizations That May Ask For Money
- The Ballard HS PTSA – That’s us! Our primary focus in the PTSA is to make a great school even better. We work to cultivate an excellent education environment for all Ballard High students through family and community engagement, advocating that all students have access to the resources, tools and support needed for the best education possible. While certainly, most of our support goes towards academic improvement, we help out all over school: athletics, performing arts, and through community outreach. Look around on our site here for more general information.
- Historically Every year, we hold two main Fundraisers:
- Direct Appeal – Money For Academics
- Gala – our Dinner Fundraiser in the Spring
- Direct Appeal – In the Fall, historically we do a direct mail campaign for your dollars, The Direct Appeal, with which we really put a focus on “Money For Academics”.
- Gala (Dinner) – In the Spring, we hold our annual party Gala biggest Bash of the year. The auction money also goes into academic support, with some of those funds possibly saved for the next year. Funds from both Direct Appeal and Auction is spent at the school by funding direct teacher asks through a grant program managed by a committee of parents, students, and staff. Of course, all revenues raised also support PTSA operating expenses.
- Become a PTSA Member. The larger our membership the more voice for the National PTA.
- Historically Every year, we hold two main Fundraisers:
- The Athletics Booster Club – The Ballard HS Athletics Booster Club (ABC) works very hard to support athletic programs at our school.
- Most of their funding comes from athletic teams conducting fundraisers to benefit their sport. The Booster Club hosts or partners with team parents to host events to build their general fund, along with Beaver Gear sales membership sales. If you see Beaver Gear on sale at events at school, be sure to buy some! Or, purchase a membership to the club and support your athletes!
- The Ballard HS Performing Arts – The Ballard Performing Arts (BPA) supports Ballard HS Music, Choral, and Theatre programs – some of the best in the city!
- Historically Performing Arts has a Gala Dinner and Auction every year during Fall, and also raises money through various other fundraisers such as an Annual Spaghetti Dinner- a BHS tradition for decades.
- In addition, candy sales, coffee sales, Escrip, and sales at concerts of CDs, bakes sales, and other merchandise.
- Also a Mattress Sale and Goodwill Truck donation call outs.
- BHS Performing Arts also provides sponsorship opportunities for all Performing Arts students to be able to participate in all activities and trips.
- Ballard HS ASB – Historically our Associated Student Body (ASB) students help gather items during the holidays.
- One important event is The Bucky’s Home For The Holidays Program and the students and staff work in collaboration with our PTSA Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Committee.
- Ballard High School Foundation – The Ballard High School Foundation is a non-profit charitable organization with a mission to support the students, faculty and administration of Ballard High School and enrich the school’s programs and activities so that Ballard High School will be a world-class learning center for the benefit of the Seattle Community. The Foundation is made up mostly of our great alumni, but will appeal to BHS families from time to time.
- Historically the Ballard High School Foundation holds several fundraisers every year, including The Annual Dinner Of Champions and Golf Classic and Auction including the Performing Arts Dessert Dash. The Breakfast Of Champions, an Opening Night Gala for the yearly musical. The BHS Foundation also conducts a direct appeal campaign near the end of every year.
- Ongoing programs, such as the Graduation Assistance Impacting the Needs of Students (GAINS program
- During the School Year 19-20 with the COVID-19 pandemic the Ballard High School Foundation formed a partnership with the BHS PTSA and the Ballard HS School to create Ballard Cares to support school families adversely affected by the pandemic.
How You Can Help
The Ballard High School PTSA fundraises to close the funding gap at our school, but schools shouldn’t need to do so in order to deliver basic academic and social needs to our students. We can change this by advocating and voting for increased funding for schools at the national, state and local Seattle level.
You can help. Learn more here on how you can easily get involved. For broader context, please read the Seattle Council PTSA Take Back PTA Resolution.
The BHS PTSA fundraising typically represents an amount equivalent to 3% of the overall budget for BHS, which mainly comes from state and local levy (property tax) funding.
Passive Fundraising Programs
Passive fundraising programs are easy ways to support BHS academics and PTSA initiatives while you do your back to school shopping!
- EXPIRING Soon! Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to BHS PTSA. Check out the AmazonSmile information page to learn about using AmazonSmile and select “Ballard High School PTSA, Seattle, WA.”
- To participate at Fred Meyer stores, link your Shoppers Card card to the BHS PTSA (code MJ933). Once your card is linked, all you have to do is swipe your Shopper’s Card while paying for your purchases. More info: Community Rewards.