SPS School Day PSAT/NMSQT
PSAT Scores and Preparing for the SAT
The PSAT scores for BHS Grade 11 Students who took the PSAT on Oct 12, 2022 will be released online during the first week of December 2022 by the CollegeBoard.
Students will need to log onto their College Board accounts to view their scores and use them to prepare for the SAT. Refer to the College Board Getting Scores site for all the information you need and a video as well.
Students should receive their original PSAT test booklets in their Language Arts class. If you would like to learn more about how to understand your scores and get tips for preparing for the SAT or need assistance with your College Board account, come to the Ballard Counseling Center, the BHS counselors are there to help.
Grade 11 Juniors, to learn more about the SAT visit the Ballard HS SAT Information page. To understand your PSAT scores and how to link your test results with free Khan Academy practice tests tailored just for you to prepare for the SAT view this video by College Board site. In addition learn more information about practicing for the SAT on CollegeBoard as well.
National Merit Scholarship Program
The PSAT/NMSQT is the route of entry into the National Merit Scholarship Program for Juniors. Questions specific to National Merit Scholarship Program should be directed to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation or the CollegeBoard.
- Visit College Board PSAT to learn more about the PSAT/NMSQT.
- The College Board has partnered with Khan Academy to provide a personalized practice program. Visit the Khan Academy to find ways to help students prepare for the SAT using their PSAT results. Students will become familiar with the kinds of questions and the exact directions they will see on the SAT.
- PrepScholar | SAT / ACT Prep Online Guides and Tips About the PSAT/NMSQT: Expert Guide.
Seattle Public School Resources
Students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch (FRL) may be eligible to receive additional benefits from the College Board such as unlimited sending of scores. In order to receive these benefits, applicants must check the box on the form for ‘Pre College Exams’ in section number 7 of the form and sign. Visit the district School Day PSAT page for more information.
The PSAT/NMSQT helps Juniors prepare for the SAT and is used to qualify students for scholarships and advanced learning opportunities. These tests are offered to all Juniors free of charge; no pre-registration is required.
Why Take the PSAT?
- Provides valuable feedback on strengths and the skills necessary for college study. Students can then focus their preparation on areas that could most benefit from additional study or practice. The PSAT measures critical reading skills, math problem-solving skills and writing skills.
- Gives insight on how a performance on an admissions test compares to others applying to college. Helps students prepare for the SAT. Students will become familiar with the kinds of questions and the exact directions they will see on the SAT.
- Could help Juniors qualify for scholarships. The Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) for Juniors is a program co-sponsored by the College Board and National Merit Scholarship Corp. (NMSC).
PSAT/NMSQT School Year 22-23 Information
- On Wed, October 12, 2022 Ballard HS students in Grade 11 were given the school day PSAT/NMSQT test.
- SPS students were automatically registered for the tests. There was no charge for the exam.
- Students had the opportunity to take the free PSAT/NMSQT test at Ballard HS. It is not required. Students not wishing to test will stay home on this day. Attendance will be taken and students who are not here will be marked absent unexcused unless a parent or guardian has excused them.
- Create your free College Board account
- Check out the College Board website for FREE test prep resources.
- Review approved calculators for the PSAT – contact your BHS counselor if you need help obtaining a calculator for the test.
The Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT/NMSQT) helps Juniors prepare for the SAT and is used to qualify students for scholarships and advanced learning opportunities. The PSAT/NMSQT can qualify students for the National Merit Scholarship Program and other scholarships. To prepare, get practice tests with official SAT practice on Khan Academy online. For more information about the SPS School Day PSAT/NMSQT please refer to the district PSAT and SAT webpage.