Nurse Welcome Letter
Welcome to Ballard High School!
Start of the School Year 2022 – 2023
My name is Laurie Tirtanadi and I am your School Nurse for the 2022-2023 school year. I’m very excited to be working with all of you! My job is to support your student’s health and learning. I hope to collaborate with and support you as we navigate these challenging times.
I look forward to speaking with you by phone, voice/text by cell or communicating with you by email. My office number is 206-252-1007. My cell number is 206-308-6706 and the confidential nurse fax line is 206-743-3106. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not hesitate to email or call if there are any questions. I am available Monday to Friday during normal school hours. Visit the BHS School Nurse webpage for updates.
Annual Health Information Form
Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning.
Complete the Annual Student Health Update form by:
- Online: Complete on The Source from 9/1 -9/30 or,
- Paper copy: Download and complete a paper copy or,
- You may also contact me directly by phone or e-mail
Take actions to help manage the spread of coronavirus and keep each other safe.
- Get vaccinated
- Get tested if you have COVID-19 symptoms
- Wash your hands frequently
- Keep hands away from your face
- If you feel sick, stay home
For current Seattle Public Schools COVID guidance, check the SPS COVID webpage.Ask for resources around vaccination clinics and testing.
Expanded Health Services
Register Your Student for a School Based Health Center! All SPS students can access mental and physical health services through our many school-based health centers. Services include: Well-child exams, sports physicals, immunizations and flu shots, mental health support, reproductive health care, for health insurance, and prescriptions for medications for chronic conditions such asthma. We have a School-based Health Clinic right in Ballard High School, visit the Ballard Teen Health Center (BTHC) webpage on our school website.
Flu Shot Information
Schedule a flu shot for your student and family members. Here’s how:
- Contact the Ballard Teen Health Center (students only)
- Seek care from your health care provider
- Look for upcoming announcements for opportunities in the Seattle Public Schools website
If you received a letter from Health Services about immunizations your student needs for school, please make sure your student receives the immunization(s) listed in the letter. Send the immunization record to me or have your health care provider fax the record via the confidential fax. Immunization requirements can be found in the Health Services Immunizations page.
Strength and Difficulty Questionnaire (SDQ)
I may use the SDQ screening tool in grade 9 to help identify students who may need additional supports to thrive academically and socially. Parents, school staff may use this tool to give feedback about how well the student in any grade is doing in four areas: emotions, focus, behavior and getting along with others. You can see more information about this screening tool at the SDQ website.
If your child has a Life-Threatening Health Condition (anaphylaxis, diabetes, seizures, asthma, etc.) and/or takes medication please complete and send or fax the needed medical forms at the beginning of the school year. All forms are on the SPS website in Health Services. All medications, whether self-carry or kept in the nursing office need medical forms completed.
Ask your health provider to complete the Medication Authorization form on the SPS website in Health Services.
- Each medication requires its own form.
- Your health care provider must sign.
- You must sign the form.
- This is required for ALL medications.
All medications must be in their original container with a pharmacy label. Emergency medications must be in the building on or before the first day of school. *Check medication expiration dates! Try to get medications that will last the full school year.
In good times and in challenging times, I know you want the best for your children. You want them to be safe, healthy, and happy. And you want them to always be learning, growing, and getting ready to take on the world, so please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance. Below I have added some links to resources you may find helpful.
Laurie Tirtanadi, RN, MS, ARNP (she/her) School Nurse
Ballard High School 1418 NW 65th St
Seattle, WA 98117 | email@example.com
Office: 206-252-1007 | Cell: 206-308-6706 | Confidential Fax: 206-743-3106
~ Even the Smallest Changes Can Make a Big Difference
Resource Information & Links
- Covid Information
- CDC Self-Checker
- Immunization Records
- UW Covid Test Sites
- Curative PCR Test Registration
- JSCEE PCR Test Registration
- Community COVID PCR Testing and COVID Vaccine Locator tool
- For immediate crisis support: Crisis Hotline 206-461-3222 or 911
- Immunization requirements
- Seattle Public Schools Flu Clinics
- Get vaccinated
- Get tested
- Seattle Public Schools website
- Annual Student Health Update
- School Based Health Centers
- Interactive map of King County School Based Health Centers
- Medication Authorization form
- The Certificate of Exemption for Vaccinations Form from the Department of Health
- Accessing your student’s immunization records