Skills Center Info: School Year Courses, Summer & Applications
Posted: | Updated:
Summary: Learn more about the Skills Center: Applications, Courses & Summer Classes
Seattle Skills Center Information
Skills Center School Year 23-24 Course Information & Application
The Seattle Skills Center is happy to announce that we are accepting applications for the 2023 – 2024 school year. All SPS students are eligible to register for and earn credit from our half-day Skills Center courses while attending their current high school. Our classes provide rigorous, hands-on learning opportunities for students interested in building skills in careers like healthcare, firefighting, education, maritime, and many more while students are still in high school.
Our students leave Skills Center with a stronger sense of purpose and understanding of the work environment. Students graduate to attend four year or two-year college, enter into an apprenticeship or job training program, or go straight to work out of high school. Many of our classes offer dual college credit with Seattle Colleges, where students earn credits towards their associate’s degree with free tuition through Seattle Promise.
Applications for the Seattle Skills Center’s School Year 23-24 Courses are now available online on the Skills Center website. The Seattle Skills Center prepares students for college, career, and life through advanced Career and Technical Education courses. Please send us an email and let us know if you have questions at; email@example.com.
We look forward to welcoming you into our classrooms next fall!
~ Principal Dan Golosman, Seattle Skills Center, Seattle Public Schools
Steps for Students Interested in Applying
Learn more about the Skills Center by watching our Skills Center Opportunities Overview Video (4 min).
Steps to Apply
- Visit and explore our Skills Center School website for full course descriptions and to watch videos about specific courses
- Complete the required Online School Year 23-24 Application
- Have any questions or concerns? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills Center Classes 23-24 School Year
We have classes in a wide range of career pathways at several locations around the city. Any high school student may take school year Skills Center courses, however these courses tend to fit more easily into the schedules of 11th and 12th grade students.
Programs are distributed throughout the city, not in a single building or location. Seattle Skills Center programs are located within Seattle Public Schools’ high schools and community-based sites.
These classes are available to all students, regardless of home high school location.
- Advanced Manufacturing, Aerospace and Maritime (Wood Technology, Seattle Colleges)
- Automotive Technology (West Seattle HS or Washington MS)
- Construction Trades (Ingraham HS or Wood Technology Center Seattle Colleges)
- New! Dental Assisting (Health Science Center, Seattle Colleges 1200 12th Ave)
- Firefighting and Emergency Medical Services (Washington MS)
- Medical Assisting (Lincoln HS)
- Maritime Vessel Operations (Center for Wooden Boats Seattle Maritime Academy Watch video to learn more.
- Media Arts (Nova HS)
- Nursing Assistant (Franklin HS)
- Teaching Academy (Franklin HS). Watch video to learn more.
- Video Game Animation and Programing (Nova HS)
More School Year Course Details
- Classes run 2.5 hours, Monday through Friday (early dismissal on Wednesday).
- Students earn three high school Career and Technical Education (CTE) credits.
- Some courses offer chances to earn math, science, fine arts, or English high school credit, dual college credit, and industry certifications.
- Some courses may lead to opportunities for internships, pre-apprenticeships, and apprenticeships.
- Students may take a Skills Center course at any location, regardless of the high school they attend.
- Transportation can be provided to and from Skills Center courses from a student’s home school during the school year.
- Sign up with our online application and talk to your school counselor to make sure the class fits your schedule.
Course Description Flyers
Skills Center Summer Courses Information
The Summer Skills Center application will be available around mid-March. Schedule will likely be July 10 to August 3, 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday (with 1.25 hours of daily asynchronous work).
Summer classes offer .5 CTE credit.
We’ll send out an announcement when we open the application and post on our website.
Watch Our Videos for More Information
Browse our programs using the video links below. Students can attend any Skills Center class, regardless of their home school location. Bus, van, and taxi transportation between home high school and Skills Center may be provided.
- Seattle Skills Center Overview Video
- Teaching Academy Video
- Maritime Vessel Operations Program Video
- Maritime Student Interviews
- Summer Construction Trades Video
- Advanced Manufacturing Seattle Times Article
- Skills Center Call Out in Times Article: “Trades Beckon Tacoma Plumber“
Check out our updates and photos too!
- Twitter @SPSSkillsCenter
- Facebook @SPSSkillsCenter
- Instagram @seattle_skills_center